Sunday, August 15, 2010

Green us up and make us black.

I am going to refocus on utilizing green and homemade household items again in hopes to save money. There are "green" things we do already:
1. Cloth diapers- Such a money and time saver. We are not bound to making trips to the store, which is great! With 2 little ones, going to the store takes time. I can "get" diapers in the comfort of our home while the girls play. We were blessed to receive our cloth diapers from Kevin's brother as a baby shower gift when we were expecting Maya.
2. Cloth baby wipes- In the beginning, we used store bought wipes. Then, when I was at a La Leche League meeting, one of the ladies used baby wash cloths and a liquid wash. When I got home, I hopped on the internet to find recipes for mixtures. I have played around with them, and this is what works for me: 1/2 Tablespoon Dr. Bronner's Castile Soap + 1/2 Tablespoon Olive oil + 1 cup of water + 3-4 drops Tea tree oil3. Cloth napkins- This one came about after running out of napkins and paper towels and continually forgetting to buy more. Then, one day, we realized it was better for the environment (and our pocket book) if we quit buying these paper products.
4.Grocery store bags as garbage bags- Because we recycle and compost, we have found all we need is a bathroom size garbage can. Thus, we are able to use the bags we get from the grocery store for free instead of buying them!
5. Baking soda, vinegar, hot water, Bissel steam mop, and microfiber cloth.... this is my cleaning arsenal. I am trying to get away from store bought cleaning agents which are toxic to the environment and suck away money. Currently, I buy laundry detergent, dish soap and dishwasher detergent. I plan to go back to making my own laundry soap which is easy and cost effective. I am on the hunt for a dishwasher detergent recipe that won't leave a white film on the dishes, fingers crossed.

I am reading a couple books on cleaning your home using green products. Hope I learn a bunch of new tricks!

No comments:

Post a Comment